Thursday 11 April 2024

April's Fully Finished Objects

Rachel, Ten Hour Stitcher, is the super host of Fully Finished Objects. It's a great opportunity for us to show and tell about the crafty items we have completely finished. It does make me feel like I've achieved something when I see my finishes. You may have seen some of my projects on previous posts but I haven't shared as finished items.

The Rose and the Ghoulash ornaments were mini kits I received many years ago and have been sitting in my stash. They were hanging kits but I made them into ornaments, there wasn't much spare fabric which is why the finishing is so tight. I'm very pleased with them and now have another ornament to hang at Valentine's or summer and another Halloween ornament to display. 



This keyring was a kit I have recently received for my birthday. It was fun to do and now houses my keys for the Scout Headquarters.


It is so lovely to receive a stitched card but I'm always sad to put them in a drawer and not seen again so I often upcycle cards into ornaments. I have had this hardanger from a card I received a long time. I cannot remember who stitched it for me as I had taken it out of the card and just stored the fabric. Thank you to whoever sent it, it is a beautiful piece of hardanger and I have managed to turn the edge under the kloster stitches and make it into an ornament. This is now part of my spring collection.


These two ornaments were made from cards received recently for Christmas and Valentine's. I used two different styles of finishing as the Valentine's card had frayed edges so I couldn't turn it. I found this ribbon in my stash which matched the colours in the heart. Two more cards that now have a longer life as ornaments and will be seen again. 


I received two beautiful Santas for my church tree from DJ. She stitched them on perforated paper and sent to me to cut out and finish. Being flat they fit perfectly in a card which makes posting easier, especially when from overseas to here in the UK.

I have enjoyed carefully cutting them out although it's quite a nervy moment sometimes as I feel the responsibility to the stitchers kindness. I'm using gold for all the hangers and the tree will have gold tinsel and gold mini baubles. All the Santas are mounted on felt, either red or green, I used red for both of DJ's Santas, they are so lovely, thank you DJ.



I have also stitched another two Santas, I'm happy with them both but I don't think I will stitch a big one again. I quite like some of the ones I have already done and may repeat them. My little Santa is little, hee hee, I adapted a chart to fit a spare bit of plastic canvas I had left. 


My final Fully Finished Object is the card I made for Gill for the Needlecraft Haven Easter Exchange. As you can see from my first finishes I like stitched cards to be seen again, that said I made Gill and ornament and attached it to a card. 



I haven't been stitching or blogging so much the last few weeks. I am so grateful for my stitching days book as it has kept me going but I have written no stitching a few times. My Mum has been unwell for the last couple of years, getting progressively worse being in and out of hospital since early December. She is now at home, in a hospital bed receiving palative care from our local hospice nurses. She is chatty and we all have jobs when visiting but she is so physically tired. Although we do not need to help we are visiting most days, I'm not sure how the days are going by so quickly but I'm amazed it's April.

I am also very busy at the moment with my role in scouting. I was previously Group Secretary but am now Group Chairman which is less paperwork but more stuff to do especially as we are currently applying for grants and funding to refurbish our headquarters. Our overall Association are also making changes to how Groups are managed as a registered charity which is adding to my time. 

And to top it all I have been suffering with a bad back, must be nearly a month now. My chiropractor initially helped as my neck was also sore but it didn't ease my back. I tried painkillers from the chemist but they were not strong enough so I went to the doctor. I wish I hadn't as he gave me some medication that then affected my stomach and liver giving me more pain. He has also referred me to physiotherapy stating I am overweight (cheeky) with poor posture .... well yes I am not standing straight as I have a bad back ... he didn't examine me at all or even ask me to bend, stand or sit. Anyway to end my moaning I went back to my chiropractor on Tuesday (she moved away from our area so it's an hour and a half each way journey) and she has eased my back a little and I feel a bit more like myself. A good job as we go on a cruise end of April for two weeks which both Hubby and I are very much looking forward to and very much need. 

Apologies to end on a grump, I'm just so busy and everything, even stitching, is fee.ung like a chore. Hopefully things will return to normal soon. 



2 comments:

diamondc said...

Hello Clare: I am so happy to see all the lovelies you have stitched, but my favorite is the chicks what an adorable design plus the tiny Santa he is so sweet.
I am so sorry your Mother is ill, growing older is not for the weak of heart, I know being in my seventies.
I hope your back problem goes away, I wish for you a lovely cruise trip.
Congratulations on your promotion in Scouts.
Even if you pop in to say hello we would love to see your blog post, it does not always need to be about stitching.

Hugs
Catherine

Carol said...

So many lovely stitched finishes, Clare! I love how you take older cards and make them into ornaments. That hardanger one is especially pretty.

It's so hard to watch our parents age and grow weaker. Mine are both gone now and I still miss them terribly, even after ten and four years. I'm sad to read about your back issues. My husband has been dealing with neck pain and headaches for a while now and needs to see the neurologist. Things seem to be improving, but I am worried. Hope you enjoy your new role in Scouting! Take care now and I hope you get some relief from the back pain very soon!