Saturday 16 February 2019

Gifted Gorgeouness - February

It's Gifted Gorgeousness time - a great blog sharing idea hosted by Jo at Serendipitous Stitching. A chance to share any gift we have sent or received - we all link our blog to Jo's and can then visit everyone else's blog to see their wonderful gifts. Thank you Jo for organising GG2019.

February is a special month for us, not only celebrating Valentine's Day and our Engagement (photos in my previous post) but our daughter's birthday. Every year I stitch her a little something; this year I've made a Newton's Law bookmark. He is so cute, most years I've stitched Newton or Tatty Ted.

Newton's Law Bookmark
for Philippa's birthday
Unbelievably this year she is 25, so many years, so many wonderful memories which are added to each time we're with her in Cardiff. We're just back from a few days visiting her, always a lovely time. I was very pleased her cake made it, especially as I kept it hidden in the tin/bag until after dinner. It's a lemon and lime cake (homemade) with gin and tonic icing (from Sainsbury's).

Philippa's Cake
Yesterday was Needlecraft Haven's Valentine Exchange, an exchange of friendship. Everyone who signed up stitched a card which had to have a heart included in the design, include a sweet treat and a skein of thread to match the card.

It's an anon exchange with everyone signing their card 'stitching love from everyone at Needlecraft Haven '. I had to wait until today to upload my GG blog as today is the reveal of who sent to who.

I'm quite a practical stitcher and like my work to be useful so I decided to stitch a broach and pin it onto the heart. The hardest part was finding a card the right size and getting the brooch pinned on. I stitched the heart on perforated paper and embellished it with beads.

The sweet treat was Green and Black's Raspberry and Hazelnut Dark Chocolate and the threads were DMC 899 and S899. My parcel traveled over to France to Mary, her blog is Le Coeur Celtique.

My heart card for Mary
The brooch pinned on to the fabric 
The Valentine's Exchange I sent to Mary 
I received a beautiful card from Sue, I'm hoping I will be able to use it on the top of a box as it is too lovely to be put in a drawer. Sue also sent some lovely red fabric with hearts on, some matching ribbon and some stitching fabric that has small hearts in, I have not seen this before. DMC 924 was the matching thread and my sweet treat was a bag of chocolate hearts - thank you Sue for a super exchange parcel.
My beautiful card from Sue
My Valentine's Exchange from Sue 
A month of lovely gifts, February is always a special time, I hope you've had a lovely month too.


15 comments:

Kate said...

Oh my, G & T icing - I hope you saved me a piece!!! ^^ Newton is adorable. Such lovely gifts for the Valentine exchange.

Christine said...

Great exchange pieces Clare. I must track down the G&T icing it sounds fabulous

Katie said...

I love the bookmark. Too cute. What a special month indeed. Lots to celebrate. The exchange was fantastic. Love your broach you made. Perfect!

Vickie said...

Love the sweet bookmark you made your daughter. I am sure the cake you made her was delicious! What a great exchange! Both cards are darling!!

Mary said...

Oh, that broach is so pretty and the bookmark is adorable, both will be used and so appreciated. Lovely gift exchanges!

Ariadne said...

Many happy returns for your daughter! I loved the pink heart!AriadnefromGreece!

Beth in IL said...

Lovely! It is so nice to see people exchanging cards and such.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in GG this month. It was lovely for you to be able to spend the Birthday with your daughter and share the delicious cake too!
Great idea for an exchange, a brooch is a lovely practical gift, it's a gorgeous design too.
Looking forward to seeing what you stitch on the heart printed fabric.

gracie said...

Wonderful exchange stitching. Happy birthday to you your daughter.

Elfie said...

I have enjoyed my visit today. Bookmarks are such a great gift - and yours was very cute.I hope your daughter uses it often.

Julie said...

I didn't guess it was you that sent the brooch, I thought it was one of the others ... clever idea.
xx

Astrids dragon said...

What a sweet bookmark, I bet she loved it.
Her cake looks wonderful, where did you get the recipe?
Your exchange gifts - received and given - look great, what fun!

butterfly said...

Love your card and the one you received , both so pretty.

Mary's Thread said...

What pretty little stitches! And that sounds like a DELICIOUS cake! :)

rosey175 said...

Your Newton bookmark is so sweet. I love the idea of making your stitch into a brooch. Filing that info away for future finishes because multi-use items are awesome! That cake sounds delicious; we love citrus flavors here.