Monday 22 January 2024

IHSW January 2024

This is my first ISHW stitchy weekend, I usually focus on one piece at a time anyway but I'm hoping this and WIPocalypse will help me finish my tablecloth ... and so far so good. 

International Hermit and Stitch Weekend is based on Facebook, hosted by Jo, Joyce, Ee Koon and Bonnie IHSW on Facebook

I have enjoyed seeing everyone's progress on there from around the world, it's lovely to be International with our craft.

My tablecloth was originally a Round Robin in 2010 and was on the theme of the four seasons. It's been in my UFO bag for years. There is no chart I p.otted the Lizzie Kate designs and blocked them out so my Rou d Robin frie DS knew where to stitch.

The hardanger edging took me ages to work out, lots of tackmsewing to keep the lines straight but thankfully it did meet when I finally got round it all. 

Now I need to complete the kloster blocks for the edging and decide on the embellishing for each design. I decided to unpick the small borders and do block/satin stitch around them. 

This is where I started. 


And this is where I am after using all my weekend stitching time on it. I'm very pleased with how the edging is going and I think I will do the block/satin stitch around the large designs. I'm not sure about the writing embellishment yet. 


I will be stitching on this when I visit my Mum who is unwell. I stay with her whilst my stepdad goes out, I stitch and Mum knits or mames cards. I will also be taking this on holidays as all I need to take is the tablecloth, perle thread, needle and scissors so it makes a great travelling project. 

Fingers crossed my tablecloth will grow and grow over 2024.

I've decided on my theme for this year's tree at St Laurence's Church Christmas Tree Festival. I'm stitching a Santa Tree.

I've stitched the two on plastic canvas, as I did the small Santas for my friends which you can see in detail below. I'm going to stitch a variety of Santas on plastic canvas or using perforated paper. 

There will be plenty of room for more Santas if you would like to stitch one, it would be amazing to have Santas from around the world. 

You can stitch on plastic canvas or perforated paper if you have any but if you'd prefer to stitch on fabric please use a design that is just Santa and is no more than 3" x 3" in size. 

If you send me your finished Santa on whatever you've used in a card it should be normal letter post. If sending from overseas please value your letter if asked for customs to £10 or equivalent. If a high value is put I may have to pay a custom charge, thanks.

I will add backing and hanging ribbon and make up any fabric ones. 

Let me know if you need anymore info, it would be so nice if you have time to stitch and send a Santa, it does make the tree special with ornaments from everyone, thank you.

This year I will be donating the Santas to charity, probably nearer the following Christmas and it will be to either a children's hospice, our local hospice or an old peoples' home. It seems a waste for the ornaments to sit in my attic in a tin so over the year I will be looking at where best they could be given


5 comments:

Tiffstitch said...

Oh, I love the editions of the kloster blocks and stain stitch on the motifs. It's gorgeous!

Rachel said...

Your progress shows that you had a very productive IHSW. The border look amazing!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Wow, you did have a productive weekend. It's nice to have a repetitive piece for travelling and for chatting while stitching.

butterfly said...

Your stitching is looking lovely , and I always love your ornaments I must do more.
Love to your Mother , hugs June.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Your tablecloth border looks great Clare.